A comprehensive dental exam consists of not only checking your teeth for cavities but evaluating the entire oral cavity. At each appointment Dr. Liebes and/or the hygienist will evaluate the following
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays: Radiographs are not taken at every visit. When they are needed they are evaluated cavities as well an abnormalities in the bone.
- Oral cancer screening: Visual and manual evaluation of the neck, lips, tongue, throat, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontal evaluation: The condition of the gums as well as any changes in the bone level will be evaluated.
- Examination of the teeth: The tooth surfaces as well as the margins of any restorations will be checked for decay with dental instruments.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your cleaning appointment along with an exam your cleaning will include:
- Removal of visible calculus: Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth. It can only be removed by scraping it off with a dental instrument. Calculus that forms above or at the gum line and can only be removed easily. If calculus exists well below the gum line additional treatment might be necessary.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is colony of bacteria that forms a sticky film on the teeth. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of gingivitis
- Teeth polishing: After the teeth are cleaned of both plaque and tartar the surface stain is the removed. This polishing is leave the teeth feeling smooth and looking clean